Forget about packing your bag and going to the gym and those cold winter mornings. If you have a gym at home, you can work out without worrying about the time or the weather.
That's why we thought it was a good idea to give you some recommendations on how to design a gym in your own home.
A home gym for little money
When you think of a home gym, you imagine a big room full of equipment. You think of a big house and a big budget to have a home gym. That's not necessarily true.
The more space the better, but if you don't have a big apartment you can make very interesting adaptations to work out.
How to use the available space
- Do you have a spare room? For many of use a spare room become a storage space. Okay, let's tidy that up and I'm sure you'll find some square footage for stretching.
- Assess if the space is large enough to move freely. If it's safe and doesn't have any furniture that you may accidentally hit. Good ventilation. And nothing that can break.
Once you have decided where you are going to install your private gym, it is time to condition the space.
- It's best to protect the floor, especially if it's a wooden floor. It is possible for you to drop heavy objects, such as dumbbells, and it is better to prevent them from falling. A mat will do. You can get one online. If you practice yoga, it may be worth investing in a rubber mat (not PU) as the grip is way better and you won’t be slipping in your downward-facing dog.
- You can also use a rubber floor like the ones made for babies when they start crawling. Some are sold by the piece and are assembled like a puzzle. This type of cover that will be very comfortable for you to work out on and do certain exercises. And you can put it away later.
- A good idea when planning a home gym is to have a suitable piece of furniture to store the necessary gear, so they are out of sight. Also everything you might need while exercising: rubber bands, balls, steps and other accessories.
- It is a good idea to have a small towel so that you don't have to go far to get it if you need it at any given time.
- Make sure it is simple, functional and fits in with the rest of your furniture.
The materials you will need
- Before embarking on the adventure of buying the materials for your new home gym, it's best to do some research. That will help you know exactly what you need and not spend money unnecessarily.
- If you’d like to invest in a cardio equipment, make sure it’s something you will actually use. The exercise bike is often the best option for homes, because it is more versatile and cheaper than the treadmill, for example.
- Then you'll need a dumbbell set, with several discs to put on and take off weight. You can also invest in an adjustable bench, which you can use to do many different exercises. And buy some kind of equipment, depending on the exercise you like (or need) to do.
- Elastic bands are a great option for exercising, since they allow you to increase the resistance and don’t take up any space. You can also get a fitness ball, or one of those plastic steps you find in gyms for step and sit-ups. Alternatively, use a sturdy chair.
With this, you can have a fully-fledged home gym. And, remember, the most important thing is to move and be consistent. Go for it!