If you have an acne-prone skin type, likely, you have already tried traditional ingredients such as salicylic acids and benzoyl peroxides, but what if there were more natural options?
The world of natural skincare products has been having a big moment for quite a while now, and it is important to check for scientific evidence that they actually work. It appears that tea tree oil could be that natural ingredient that can help cure pimples.
Tea tree oils are derived from a plant native to Australia used for centuries to treat coughs and applied topically for skin healing due to their antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects. This is why tea tree oil is appropriate to treat acne.
- It kills bacteria that cause acne.
- It has anti-inflammatory effects that can help reduce inflammation and redness.
- It works for all types of acne: comedonal acne and inflammatory acne.
- It is anti-viral and anti-fungal
- It helps heal cuts and scrapes
- Reduces dandruff because of its anti-fungal properties.
You should not use the essential oil without a carrier –such as a jojoba oil–, it is often better to use with non-comedogenic carrier oils or use products containing tea tree oil.
It comes in several formulations such as toner, moisturizer, washes and spot treatments. It is better to use it twice a day for 12 weeks to see the results.
Most of the time tea tree oil is tolerated by most people, whoever, it can trigger an allergic reaction, so make sure to test it in a patch of skin before applying it to your skin.
You may also like this article!