If I want to cheer myself up, I go grab my collection of nail polishes and play with all the colors. It is a way of showing my creativity, it makes me feel confident and it is just fun for me. But can it actually be bad for me?
I love nail polish, I love having my nails manicured, and I love doing it myself, it is my moment of self care. But how dangerous is nail polish?
There are 3 ingredients you have to be aware of formaldehyde –a carcinogen– and toluene and dibutyl phthalate, which have been linked to birth defects. Some manufactures have removed the toxic ingredients and others have changed their labels without modifying their formula. There is also another chemical triphenyl phosphate (TPP) that is sometimes included in nail polish formulas. And the truth is that we don’t know the long-term effects, but it has been proved that they are absorbed by the body, and this should be enough for us to stop using them.
If you are a nail technician, you should be concerned, because repeated exposure to toxic nail polish can lead to potential health issues –from nausea, allergic reactions, headaches and eye irritation. So it is paramount to check online for information on the brand to see if they include any of those toxic ingredients.
You may also like this article!