While many people feel confident and enjoy their grey hair, others may be looking for a natural way to stop the greying process. Today we share some tips to manage your hair color naturally.
Our hair goes through a natural circle of dying and regenerating all the time. Although genetics determines when your hair starts going grey, after the age of 35-40 the hair follicles start producing white or grey hair to replace the hair that died.
Minerals and vitamins
You can incorporate minerals and vitamins into your diet. They keep it healthy and help it grow stronger and repair the damage.
- Minerals: zinc, iron, magnesium, selenium, and copper
- Vitamins: B-12, biotin, D, E, and A.
Our daily routines and activities also have a major impact on our hair’s health. To improve our hair’s health, we can:
- stop smoking
- protect it from the sun
- stop using chemical products and too much heat (hairdryer, curling iron or hair straightener)
- choose a natural shampoo
- Amla. Due to its high concentration of Vitamin C, it is considered the best remedy to stop the growth of grey hair. It’s a powerful antioxidant that helps your hair grow thicker, darker, and fuller.
- Ginger and honey. You can incorporate them into a cup of tea every day.
- Black Strap molasses. Eat a tablespoon of molasses two or three days a week.
- Carrot juice. You can drink it every day.
- Eat garlic, kale, almonds, and broccoli.
- Coconut oil. Massage your hair and scalp with coconut oil two or three days a week.
- Almond oil and lemon juice. You can use this mixture once a day for a couple of months.
- Sage leaves. Boil some water and add 4 or 5 crushed leaves. Let it sit for two hours and strain it. You can wash your hair with this liquid or add some glycerine to obtain a massage oil.
- Onions. They are rich in antioxidant enzyme catalase, which restores the hair’s natural color.
Natural hair dye
You can prepare your own hair dye, but you will need to repeat the process a couple of times before you notice a change, since it won’t be as strong as a chemical dye.
- black hair: black walnut, black tea, sage, nettle
- brown hair: coffee, cinnamon
- red hair: hibiscus, carrot juice, beet juice, Rooibos tea, calendula
- blonde hair: chamomile flower tea, lemon peel, marigold flower, sunflower petals
Finally. embrace it. Grey hair has become super trendy recently, and many women dye theirs to grey. It's totally up to you, so don't let external factors decide your hair color.