As everyone becomes more focused on reducing the chemical load in their cosmetics, natural and homemade solutions seem to be back with a vengeance. And whilst new recipes abound, few natural remedies truly stand the test of time. Onion hair rinse is one of them.
You may doubt that onions and hair are a good match, but trust us, they were meant for each other. No other home remedy (aside maybe from apple cider vinegar) can result in shiny locks as much as onion rinse.
So, why is onion this good for hair?
Well, first of all, onions are a common kitchen staple. Used in pretty much every soup, stew, and stir-fry, they are also one of the cheapest ingredients to find. But few realize that onions are an amazing ingredient to use in hair care. They contain numerous properties that can significantly improve your hair texture, and even fight hair loss. These are just some of the benefits:
- Onion juice helps improve hair growth by boosting the level of the antioxidant enzyme catalase. This enzyme helps decompose hydrogen peroxide, optimizing the hair growth cycle.
- It helps nourish your hair follicles with its rich content of sulfur, which is essential for the regeneration of your hair follicles.
- Sulfur also helps minimize hair thinning and breakage.
- The antioxidants help reverse premature graying and delay graying.
- Onion’s rich antibacterial properties help keep your scalp healthy and free of infection, promoting unhindered hair growth. These same properties also help control dandruff.
- Onion juice stimulates your scalp and improves the circulation of blood, resulting in it follicles that are well-nourished.
Onion juice is a powerful antioxidant, it stimulates metabolism and has potent antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. All this and more can have a favorable impact on your scalp and hair.
Onion hair masks, for instance, can strengthen hair follicles, stimulate growth, rebuild hair structure and prevent dry scalp.
Onion skins, on the other hand, will help retain healthy hair color and shine. Decades ago, women used them to slightly dye their hair.
In order to see results, you will need to use onion rinse and mask for a couple of weeks.
When you shouldn't use onions for hair care:
Onion is a relatively safe ingredient for cosmetic use, but you should avoid it if you're allergic, have damaged skin or cuts, hypersensitive skin, or very dry scalp.
How to use onions for hair:
Take 4-5 onions, peel and clean them and blend well until the texture resembles a cream. Then strain using cheese or a muslin cloth. You can massage your scalp with onion juice before shampooing as usual. It's better to use it at nighttime. The onion smell with go away with the shampoo, but you can also add a couple of drops of rosemary oil to your every-day shampoo.
So now you know that you don't need to spend a fortune to have healthy hair. The solution may actually be lying around in your kitchen.
You may also like this article!