Did you know that the winter months can affect your hair? Here are some pieces of advice to take care of your hair during those months from experts
How does cold weather affect your hair?
All weathers influence your hair and the cold weather can damage your hair. For example, cold and dry air can actually cause the cuticle of the hair strand to lift ever so slightly. As a consequence, there is a loss in moisture which may produce frizz. How annoying!
As a result, knowing how often to wash your hair during winter can really help you, depending on your hair type. Here is the opinion of an expert.
How often should you wash your hair?
That will depend on overall scalp health and hair porosity. Mane Addicts interviewed co-founder and creative director of R + Co, Howard McLaren, and here is his expert opinion.
1) Should we wash our hair less during the winter?
According to Howard McLaren, This will definitely depend on each individual’s need of cleaning the scalp and their hair type. In general, this is how often you should wash your hair if you have oily, dry, or normal hair:
- Dry hair type should be washed a maximum of two times a week.
- Oily hair types need to be washed on a daily basis.
- If you don’t suffer from dryness or oiliness, you can wash your hair whenever you feel like you need to.
2) Can over washing during the winter cause more breakage or damage?
“If you are using a shampoo that will damage your hair in any way, throw it in the garbage! Shampoos have become so sophisticated that they should never damage the scalp or hair. At R+Co, we have created shampoos and conditioners that are based on a healthy scalp and hair so this should never be a concern,” said Howard.
3) Is co-washing recommended instead during the winter months? What are the best ones to use?
Not only the shampoo but also the conditioner should be a quality one according to your hair type and your needs. So according to Howard, you should ask your stylist for the best recommendation for your hair needs. Those with curly hair are more prone to dryness so they should stick to washing three times a week and following a trusty routine for best results. As a result, co-washing may be a good choice for curls.
More tips to protect your hair in the winter
- Moisturize regularly
- Get regular trims
- Protect your hair from heat damage