Collagen, found in our bodies, is a protein that improves and strengthens the hair. So a collagen hair treatment was created to help people fix their hair when their bodies produce less collagen. Learn more about this treatment here
What is collagen? What can affect its production?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body which can be found in the bones, muscles, skin, and tendons. It contains a variety of amino acids. The pass of the time and the exposure to factors such as smoking and UV light can reduce collagen production.
Collagen and hair
Collagen can be found in different parts of the body and one is near the hair bulbs, where it helps transport nutrients from the body to the hair. That is why a collagen treatment is good for your hair because we are made of this protein. This treatment can be professionally done in a salon. But there are also numerous DIY options that prove to be just as effective as one the professional treatment.
The pros and cons of collagen treatment
- This treatment reduces frizz, prevent breakages, and strengthen your hair from the root to the tip
- This is a good natural option to fix the health of your hair since there are no chemicals in it. Many other hair treatments contain formaldehyde which has been said to cause cancer.
- This protein treatment improves the health of your hair in the long-term
- It can be a little bit expensive
- It is safe but it can have some side effect for allergic people
- The treatment is not magical, it takes time. It usually lasts a couple of months, optimally between 2-4 months.
- After the treatment, you have to let the collagen in your hair work for at least 4 days before being washed off. This can be uncomfortable.