Peter started out his professional life as a restaurant critic but ended up moving to the kitchen, realizing that his passion didn’t only lie in tasting the food, but MAKING it. Follow his delicious recipes, as well as useful articles about the many benefits healthy and delicious food will bring to your life.+ info
Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Rome, traditionally cooked with eggs, hard cheese, cured pork, and black pepper. However, following a vegan or dairy-free diet can’t stop you from enjoying it! Here’s a vegan version of this famous dish that maintains the taste and nutrients of its original variant.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
400 g pasta. You’ve many choices: spaghetti, fettucini, bucatini, or gluten-free if preferred.
For the smoky sun-dried tomato bites (instead of bacon):
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
For the carbonara:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 ½ cups soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon black salt. Use regular salt if preferred
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook the pasta in a large bowl according to the package directions.
2. Mix together the sun-dried tomatoes cut in slices, the soy sauce, and the liquid smoke in a small bowl. Let it rest aside while you prepare the rest of the dish.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Then add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown (approximately 5 minutes).
4. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat the onions. After a minute, blend it with all of the remaining ingredients. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until thickened, whisking as needed. If the sauce gets too thick, add an extra splash of plant-based milk, and if the sauce is too thin, simply cook it for longer.
5. Add the marinated sun-dried tomato sauce to the pasta and mix it well to combine all the ingredients. Serve hot.