The Tom Brady diet, or TB12 Method, originates from the diet and lifestyle of football quarterback Thomas Brady Jr. His diet is plant-based and incorporates elements of anti-inflammatory, alkaline, and Mediterranean diets.
This Method is primarily a plant-based diet that consists of anti-inflammatory and alkaline foods.
Method: The Tom Brady diet consists of 20% lean protein, while the remaining 80% comprises mainly fruit and vegetables, as well as whole grains and legumes.
The diet is strict, with an exhaustive list of foods to avoid. In general, people consider these foods, which include sugary products and processed meats, to be acidic or inflammatory.
While the TB12 Method instructs people to avoid certain foods, it also provides additional guidance, such as:
- No food before bed: A person should avoid eating within 3 hours of going to bed. Research suggests that eating later at night may increase body fat. Other studies have also shown that eating meals or snacks before bedtime may increase weight gain.
- Combining food correctly: The diet instructs people not to pair foods high in carbohydrates with foods high in protein. Additionally, a person should eat fruit on its own as a snack.
- Appropriate water intake: As with any diet, water intake is important, so the TB12 Method encourages a person to drink lots of water throughout the day. However, they should not drink it with or around meals.
Benefits: The Tom Brady diet may help with weight loss and sports performance. This is likely because of the strict rules around certain types of foods.
Brady, alongside his wife, the Brazilian model Gisele Bundchen encourages the intake of organic, local foods alongside plenty of water.
A person who wishes to follow this diet should aim for a 20% intake of protein and an 80% intake of mostly fruit and vegetables. They also should avoid processed foods, nightshade fruits and veg (like eggplant) and vegetables, trans fats, alcohol, and caffeine.