Figs are full of vitamins and antioxidants. They are a great snack, dessert or even tea!
3 benefits of figs:
1. Figs are rich in vitamins
They contain A, B1, B2, B3 and C. They also contain a high concentration of quickly assimilated sugars, providing the body with a high dose of energy.
2. Figs promote digestive health
Figs contain fibre, which studies show promotes digestive health and serves as a prebiotic, a source for the healthy bacteria populating your gut.
3. Figs promote healthy skin
Figs may have some beneficial effects on the skin. Recent studies show that a combination of fruit extracts, including fig extract, have antioxidant effects on skin cells and decrease collagen breakdown. This, however, may be a result of the combination of extracts.
1. Figs are commonly used as a home remedy for digestive issues, which ironically may lead to worse symptoms due to the high amount of fibre they provide.
2. Some people may also be allergic to figs, especially those allergic to pollen.
Figs can be eaten raw and dried and fig leaves are a great ingredient to use in infusions and certainn dishes.