Mango fans-rejoice. The delicious tropical fruit is much more than a nice addition to a fruit salad or a smoothie. It’s called the King of fruits for a reason. Here are 5 surprising benefits of eating mangoes.
- Healthy skin: Mangoes are rich in vitamin C and A which is why they promote skin health. Eating mangoes also reduces signs of ageing. Vitamin C is essential for making collagen— a protein that gives structure to your skin and hair.
- Better eye-sight: Being rich in Vitamin A, mangoes help in improving your eye-sight. Two key nutrients in mangoes are the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. Inside the retina, lutein and zeaxanthin act as a natural sunblock, and absorb excess light. They also appear to protect your eyes from harmful blue light according to recent studies.
- Good heart health: Eating mangoes can help in maintaining good heart health. The fibre, potassium and vitamins content in mangoes supports healthy heart function. Mangoes provide a source of mangiferin, which may lower blood cholesterol, triglycerides and free fatty acid levels.
- Boost the immune system: Rich in vitamin A and C, they help in maintaining a strong immune system and thereby keeping flu at bay.
- Better digestion: Mangoes are rich in fibre content and they aid in proper digestion. Mangoes contain a group of digestive enzymes called amylases. Amylases break down complex carbs into sugars, such as glucose and maltose, aiding digestion, according to studies.
Try our delicious mango and avocado ceviche. Perfect for a hot day by the pool.