Gravy is everybody’s favorite, much better if it is healthy and cruelty-free! Here you'll find a super simple vegan gravy for the holiday season.
This comes in handy on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and any other holiday! Try it on cauliflower, mashed potatoes, or your vegan meatballs, just about everything!
- Servings: 800 ml
- Time: 40 minutes
- Difficulty: Super easy
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 25 g dried porcini mushrooms
- olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons port
- 2 tablespoons quality blackcurrant jam
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Marmite
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1.5 liters vegetable stock
- First things first: peel the onions, wash the carrots, then chop with the celery and porcini –you don’t have to be neat just roughly chop the veggies.
- Sauté the vegetables and the herbs for 25 minutes in a large pan on a medium heat with a bit of oil and all the herbs.
- Toss the port and jam, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mixture starts looking caramelized.
- Stir in the flour, the Marmite, the tomato purée and finally the red wine vinegar.
- Start to incorporate the stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, or until you are happy with its consistency.
- Sieve into a bowl, you can use the back of a spoon to squeeze all that flavor from the vegetables and herbs.
- Taste and season!
Now that you know how to prepare a delicious vegan gravy, will you include it in your Christmas dinner?
You may also like these articles: