Polenta is not only super tasty but it is also very versatile. It can be used for savory and sweet dishes, as a snack or main course. Besides it is super healthy, see the 7 main health benefits of polenta.
Polenta is a traditional Italian dish made from cooked cornmeal, especially yellow corn. The corn is ground and boiled in water, milk or broth, it has the consistency of a thick porridge. The traditional way of cooking polenta involves stirring it for about 50 minutes in a pot, but nowadays polenta is sold in quick-cooking varieties. Since it is a preparation based on corn, it is a gluten-free food, suitable for celiacs. Polenta is a versatile dish that offers plenty of nutrients for the body.
The 7 main health benefits of polenta
1. Helps to maintain stable blood sugar levels.
2. Counteracts excess acid in the stomach.
3. Polenta contains both protein and fiber to help a person feel full.
4. It is easy to digest.
5. Polenta is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates so it keeps blood sugar levels steady.
6. It is naturally low in fat and can be eaten as part of a heart-healthy diet.
7. Polenta is low calorie, similarly to other whole grains and it provides 70 cal per 100g (cooked).
Try our recipe: vegan and gluten-free polenta fingers