Mushrooms are an amazing plant-based source of umami flavor, no wonder why a lot of people love them. But could they actually be unhealthy?
Most people love mushrooms, and it might be because they are a good source of umami flavor –if you don’t know what umami is, here is an explanation.
Well, the good news is that edible mushrooms are rich in vitamin B, fiber, protein, iron, copper, selenium, vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus.
Fibers are paramount to keep healthy bowels, lower your cholesterol and get rid of toxins in your body. Another good thing about mushrooms is that more than 90% of the iron present in mushrooms is absorbable –thanks to its copper– and this improves cell formation, digestion and nerve function.
They are also great for vitamin D and if you sun-dry them after harvesting you’ll increase vitamin D content –this vitamin is necessary for proper absorption of calcium and phosphorus.
Eating mushrooms is a good way of incorporating antioxidants to fight free radicals that oxidize our bodies. Although colorful vegetables are more popular antioxidants, the fact is that Portobello mushrooms are as good a source as red peppers.
They are also known for their properties for cancer prevention and they help break down starch and sugars in the body.
You cannot eat any kind of mushroom, though. You have to avoid Amanita Phalloides, a poisonous mushroom that grows all over the world and is known as “Death Cap Mushroom,” its toxins destroy the liver and cooking these mushrooms does not destroy the toxin.
You may also like this article!