If you have any leftover veg, do not despair. You can use it up with this delicious vegetable crostata.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 200g greens of choice (spinach, chard)
- 150g any other veg (zucchini, eggplant, peppers, beans)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- a bunch of any herbs
- 3 eggs
- 200g flour (preferably wholemeal)
- 100g cold butter (or vegan butter)
- 50g nuts (walnuts or cashews)
- salt to taste
- 25g parmesan (or vegan cheese)
- 2 tbsp cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 220C or 420F. Blitz the walnuts in a food processor. Add the flour and salt and mix well. Add the butter and pulse a few times to create a dough. Add water and blitz a few more times until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in cling film and place in a fridge.
2. Pour some vegetable oil in a pan, add your chunky veg with some salt and fry for a few minutes. Add the garlic and fennel seeds and a few minutes later add your greens (shredded). Once they wilt, set the mixture aside.
3. Chop the herbs and whisk together with parmesan and eggs.
4. Take the dough out of the fridge. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and roll out the pastry. Mix the cooled veg with the egg mix and pour into the center, leaving a 3cm (just over an inch) border, Fold the border over the veg carefully.
5. Bake the crostata for 35-40 minutes until the edges are golden, reduce the heat slightly and bake for further 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
6. Allow to cool on the baking sheet. Serve and enjoy!