If you want to feel like the alchemist of your family and friends, here are two ways of infusing some flavor into your salt and reduce your sodium consumption.
Herbal salt is a healthy and easy to prepare alternative that can help us reduce and control our sodium intake.
There are several benefits to preparing your own herbal salts
- When you prepare flavored salt for salads you can reduce the amount of salt. Ideally, you should avoid salt in salads if you suffer from high blood pressure.
- By using only aromatic herbs, olive oil, and a squirt of lemon juice your salad will be very tasty without having to add sodium.
The procedure is very simple:
- To prepare your flavored salt at home you will need fine table salt, dried aromatic herbs, and spices to taste.
- The recommended ratio is 1:1, that is, for every 50 g of salt you will need 50 g of dried herbs.
- If you want to reduce your salt intake even further, you can adjust the doses so that your flavored salt has even less sodium.
- Grind the dried herbs in a food processor.
- Place the salt and herbs in a bowl and mix well.
- Store the herbal salt in clean, sealed bottles to maintain the aroma.
If you have a spice grinder, you can also mix the salt, herbs, and spices and grind them on the spot for a more intense aroma.
3 Recipes for herbal salt
There are many aromatic herbs and spices, so there are also multiple possible combinations to prepare your herbal salt. Here are three recipes for you to try.
1. Herbal salt for salads
Mix the salt with pink pepper and basil. Remember to dehydrate the herbs before mixing them with the salt.
2. Flavored salt for roasts
Depending on the type of meat you are going to cook you can use a different type of aromatic herbs. In the mixture for white meat, for example, you can combine rosemary and sage. For red meat, oregano and thyme are very good.
3. Herbal salt for soups
Celery salt is ideal for flavoring soups. Also, you can add other herbs such as rosemary, if you like, dried garlic or onion and thyme.
You may also like this article!