The benefits of yogurt are undeniable: protein and probiotic-rich, it's a wonderful option to have for breakfast or as a snack.
Yogurt can be easily made at home. You will only need to buy it once and then use the culture to make large batches of your own yogurt at home!
To make yogurt, you will need: an oven, clean glass jars, a kitchen thermometer, yogurt and milk, bifidus (optional). Use about 1cup of yogurt per every gallon of milk.
To make your own yogurt, follow these steps:
1. Place the glass jars or containers in the oven at 45 / 50ºC (113º-122º F) to heat them.
2. Heat the milk until it reaches 38 / 39º C. (100ºF) Use the thermometer to check the temperature. When the milk reaches the indicated temperature, pour it into the jars.
3. Pour a tablespoon of yogurt into each container and mix well
4. Turn the oven off. Place the jars back in the oven, cover with lids (not too tightly) or a tea towel to keep warm.
5. Keep the mixture in the oven for between 6 and 8 hours and every two hours check that the temperature is still between 38 / 39ºC (100ºF) for yogurt with bifidus or between 43 / 45º (113ºF) for yogurt without bifidus.
It is important to maintain the temperature in the ranges indicated
6. If the temperature drops at any time, turn the oven back on for five minutes. It is important to maintain the temperature in the indicated ranges.
7. Once the yoghurt is ready, store it in the refrigerator in a hermetically sealed container for 6 hours before eating it.
Save some of your homemade yogurt to use as the starter culture of your next batch!