The kitchen is usually the hub and heart of the house, but it can also be a source of toxins and chemicals. In this article, you will learn how to make your kitchen a place free of toxins
As you cook and clean, you are potentially inhaling toxic vapors from stoves and cleaning products and you do not even realize it. Additionally, you may be serving with your meals, small amounts of chemicals, and heavy metals from cooking tools. It seems to be something that you cannot control, but you actually can.
Tips to make your kitchen a place free of toxins
1) Non-toxic cookware
Eliminating your non-stick cookware is a good place to start. This includes your frypan, saucepans, and baking ware, and the term “non-stick” is usually related to Teflon®. Although it is a good tool to prevent your food from sticking in your cookware, it is also considered bad for your health. Some research established that heating Teflon at standard cooking temperatures generates highly toxic gases and particles that end in the food you eat.
Nevertheless, aluminum cookware is another tool you should avoid. The aluminum together with some acid food such as tomatoes at high temperatures can accelerate corrosion and leaching.
2) Chemical-free cleaning
It is a fact that everybody wants to be free of bacteria so you go and buy cleaners. But what you do not know is that some of those cleansers can harm your health. A study by Norway’s University of Bergen found that many ingredients such as chlorine bleach are toxic to the respiratory tract and can lead to airway irritation and asthma. Other bad chemicals are sodium and potassium hydroxide and triclosan.
Which product should you use? Microfibre fabric products. They have actually revolutionized cleaning and we do not actually need cleaning chemicals.
3) Pure water
Paul Hervey, a consultant environmental scientist explains that tap water contains three additives legally added: chlorine, fluoride, and a corrosion control product. When the water travels, the chlorine tends to evaporate and disappear, but if the tap is closer to the treatment plant, the water contains higher concentration of chlorine.
Due to the fact that water travels through pipes and it is in contact with plumbing fittings, it may contain higher levels of heavy metals and many toxins for plastic pipes. So it is advisable to flush the water out of your cold water tap for 20 to 30 seconds before drinking it, which helps clean water.
Make sure you always ventile your kitchen so as to remove airborne toxins. “Proper ventilation is also important to remove any unhealthy build-up of carbon monoxide gas produced by gas stoves,” says Jo Immig, coordinator of the National Toxics Network in Australia. So open up your window and let the air get in your kitchen!