Refrigerating your food is important since it can help them last longer and reduce waste. However, some food should never be kept in the fridge.
Where do you store your condiments? Well, you may not read the labels but they usually contain information about the place in which you should store the product. According to a survey done by Which? only one in five of the people surveyed checked a condiment’s label to see where it should be stored.
The famous website The Love Food Hate Waste developed a list from A to Z of food storage with interesting information about food. Here are some tips from the website.
How to store your food
- Eggs are best kept in the fridge.
- Bananas should be stored in a bowl but other fresh fruits such as apples and vegetables can last longer if they are refrigerated. Store apples in your fridge and you will be amazed at how long they last!
- Potatoes and onions are best kept in a cool, dark place such as a vegetable basket, ideally in a cloth bag.
- Some condiments such as ketchup, brown sauce, mustard should be stored in a cupboard away from sunlight. The same happens with olive oil and pickles.
- Bread needs to be in the cupboard or a bread bin. If you put it in the fridge, it can go stale quicker according to experts.
- Some food like pesto, mayonnaise, avocados, butter, and dips will last longer in a fridge than they might in a cupboard.
- Finally, when it comes to honey, bread, pastries, grains, nuts, cake, and bagels, the ideal is to look for a cool, dark cupboard with well-sealed containers.