Keto diet is one of the most popular diets nowadays. Find out how to prepare bread and bagels so you can enjoy a healthier breakfast.
The ketogenic diet, or keto diet as it is more commonly known means that, instead of using carbohydrates as the first source of energy, the body is reprogrammed to use fats due to lack of carbs.
This energy change is called ketosis since the body will produce - as a result of burning fat in the liver - ketones that it will distribute as a nutrient in the organs, muscles, and brain.
1- Easy Gluten-free Keto Bread
This recipe is super simple low-carb and gluten-free.
200 gr coconut flour or grated coconut
150 gr of flax seeds
2 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tsp of baking powder
salt and rosemary to taste
Preheat the oven to 170ºC / 338ºF.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. No need to knead.
Place the mixture into a non-stick mold and bake for 25 minutes.
The bread should be fluffy on the inside and a little crispy on the outside.
2- Simple High Protein Almond Keto Bread
A delicious and high protein option for flourless bread.
If you are on the keto diet, staying away from flour for a while, or are just in the mood for something different, you’ve got to try these "bread" recipes.
Among its benefits, keto bread is suitable for celiacs and all those staying away from gluten.
140 grams of almond flour
4 tbsp of melted butter
3 tbsp of baking powder
1 lemon wedge
1 tsp of salt
6 drops of stevia
Preheat the oven to 190º while you prepare the bread dough.
Beat the egg whites until stiff. Then add 3 drops of lemon and continue beating until it "picks up" and looks like a meringue.
In a separate bowl add the yolks, melted butter, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well until the batter looks compact. Then add 1/3 of the whites and mix. Keep adding the egg whites little by little, always folding them with the rest of the mixture.
Grease a loaf tin with a little butter and pour in the dough. Bake for 30 minutes or until done. Let is cool before removing from the tin.
3- Keto bagels
7 oz. (1¾ cups) mozzarella cheese
1 oz. (2 tbsp) cream cheese
1½ cups (6 oz.) almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp flaxseed
1 tsp sesame seeds
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium, microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Repeat in 30-second bursts until the cheese has melted and can be easily combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour and baking powder, until well combined. Add the egg and almond flour mix, to the melted cheese. Mix well until a smooth dough forms. Kneading it on a non-stick surface helps with this process!
- Divide the dough into as many parts as portions in the recipe, and form into bun shapes. Place on your lined baking tray.
- Use your thumb, or the handle of a wooden spoon, to push a hole through the center of each bun and then shape it further until you have bagel shapes.
- Place the seeds and seasoning for the topping mix into a small bowl and give it a quick stir to combine.
- Crack the second egg into a bowl and beat until combined.
- Brush the top of each bagel liberally with the beaten egg and then sprinkle with your topping mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.