This marvelous herb is not only super tasty and aromatic, but it also boasts several health benefits. Learn 2 super easy recipes that you can prepare this spring!
Basil is originally native to Asia, Africa and India and it was considered a sacred herb. The word “basil” actually comes from ancient Greek “basilikhon” and it means royal.
Basil is now grown all over the world, it is used for seasoning in sweet and savory dishes, and it provides some serious health benefits.
Basil contains vitamins and minerals and several antioxidants, and scientists are studying the potential benefits of extracts or essential oils of basil. Preliminary research suggests that it may:
- Help fight free radicals in the body that produce cell damage that can lead to several conditions such as cancer, heart disease, arthritis and diabetes.
- Control blood sugar levels.
- Prevent heart disease as the eugenol in basil can block calcium channels, which may help to lower blood pressure and its essential oils can lower your cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Improves mental health as its compounds can help alleviate anxiety and depression and lower the risk of age-related memory loss.
- Reduce inflammation as essential oils present in basil –eugenol, linalool, and citronellol– can help to fight inflammation in the body.
- Protect against infections because of its antibacterial properties.
The best thing about basil is that you can grow basil in your kitchen! There are two super refreshing recipes to rock in spring!
Avocado Basil Pesto
- 1 avocado
- Handful of basil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper –to taste.
Blend the ingredients until smooth with a blender, add water if you prefer a thinner consistency. You can use it as a sauce or get some crudités to dip!
Strawberry Lemon Basil Water
- 1⁄4 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 lemon slice, quartered
Place the ingredients in a pitcher and keep it in the refrigerator for 4 hours before serving for a super refreshing treat!
You may also like this article!