Lentils are often ignored and overlooked. But they are a fantastic and inexpensive way to load up on a variety of nutrients.
Lentils are a super versatile legume that can be served as a starter, main course and even dessert. They are sometimes overlooked but they are an amazing source of nutrients. See what its benefits are!
Lentils are packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium. They are also made up of over 25 % protein, making them a fabulous alternative for vegetarians and vegans. But that's not all. Lentils are an excellent source of iron as well, a mineral lacking in many vegetarian's diets. There are several types of lentils and they are all super tasty!
Some of the common varieties are:
- Brown: the most common type of lentils and easily found at any supermarket.
- Puy: Originating from the French region Le Puy, they’re a smaller version of green lentils and have a slightly peppery taste.
- Green: these are quite inexpensive and make it a great alternative to Puy lentils.
- Red/Yellow: These are split and that's why they cook super quickly. You'll find them in a dah,l for instance, and they are the best ones if you are short of time, because they are cooked in no time and cool quickly.
- Beluga: These are tiny black lentils that look almost like caviar.
Lentils are easy to cook, as they don’t require any prior soaking and can be cooked in 15-20 minutes.
- As with beans and grains, it's a good idea to rinse them before cooking to eliminate impurities.
- Then just place them in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Leave to simmer uncovered and enjoy -We like to use the stock for cooking split lentils as this will give them a richer flavour.
Lentils are not just for colder months though. They can be enjoyed in a salad for a protein kick or our delicious lentil tacos!
This recipe is very rich in fiber, protein, vegetable iron, vitamin C, potassium and good fats for the body. In addition to being very easy to make, it is a perfect summer lunch or dinner.
If you are vegan, celiac or simply want to jazz up a healthy meal, try this recipe. It’s low-calorie recipe, easy to make and won’t let you down.