When we think of lentils, we usually imagine a stew. But there are more ways of incorporating this healthy ingredient into our diet.
Lentils have a great advantage in that they do not need to be pre-soaked, so they are easier and quicker to cook, although with 2 or 3 hours of soaking we can reduce the cooking time even further.
Some simple ways of adding lentils into our diet are:
1. Make some Burgers
They can be combined with different vegetables.
- First, cook the lentils, drain them and mash them with a fork or in a blender until you get a puree.
- Sautee some garlic and chopped onion in olive oil or just water, add to the lentil mash. You can also add egg or chia seeds if you're plant-based to the mixture so that the burgers hold better when cooked.
- Add salt, pepper, and spices to taste.
- Form little burgers with your hands and place in a fridge or freezer for a couple of hours. Then bake or fry.
- Enjoy with a salad or some delicious chips.
- As in the previous preparation, you have to mash lentils and mix them with vegetables: onion, pepper, grated carrot, leek, etc. Add an egg (flax egg or chia seeds) and a little flour.
- Take the mixture to the fridge, then make little lentil balls by hand.
- Coat them in some breadcrumbs mixed with black sesame seeds and cook them in a very hot non-stick frying pan. They can also be fried.
Lentils go very well with all kinds of vegetables. You can mix 1/4 cup of cooked lentils with a salad of choice or top a toast with spiced lentils.
You may also like this article!