Peter started out his professional life as a restaurant critic but ended up moving to the kitchen, realizing that his passion didn’t only lie in tasting the food, but MAKING it. Follow his delicious recipes, as well as useful articles about the many benefits healthy and delicious food will bring to your life.+ info
A delicious and filling breakfast or a quick lunch. This simple yet nutritious dish will become a staple for those days when you only have 10 minutes to cook.
Beans are the perfect ingredient to use in soups, stews, chilies, and other dishes. They are an inexhaustible source of nutrients, such as folic acid, magnesium, and vitamin B6, and are full of fiber and plant protein.
Beans are also rich in copper and iron, which aids in the production of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen throughout the body.
Eating beans regularly is thought to promote healthy body weight, increase muscle mass, and support digestive health.
Butter beans can be used in a number of dishes, but a creamy dish of beans accompanied by the acid touch of fresh tomato and the delicious aroma of basil make for a perfect dish.
Ingredients for four people
- 300 gr. butter beans (use canned if you are short on time)
- 2 fresh whole tomatoes, very ripe
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
1. Drain the beans, and place them in a large pot, add water over the legumes, add a little salt and boil for about an hour and a half, or until they soften, stirring frequently so that they thicken. Add more water if necessary.
If you are using canned beans, just drain and wash them.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, heat a dash of olive oil and add the chopped onion and peeled and crushed garlic cloves. Season with salt and pepper, and let them release the flavor for a few minutes.
3. Chop the tomatoes, and about 10 large basil leaves. Add the tomatoes and basil to the garlic and onion mixture and cook until tender, crushing them with the back of a spoon.
4. Add in the beans, mix well, and cook for a few minutes.
5. Toast a slice a rye bread and place the beans and tomatoes on top. Add pepper and olive oil.
Serve and enjoy!