A trip to India was all it took for Victoria to realise that meditation is not a fancy word for sitting around in silence. It truly changed Victoria’s life to a less stressful and more mindful one. Now a freelance consultant and journalist, Victoria joined KOKO to share her knowledge on those little things that are life so much better, and cosier.+ info
We rarely touch our ears other than to scratch or wash them. But there are therapies to stimulate this cartilage that can be very useful for our body.
Ears are a part of our body that we don't usually give importance to. With a few exceptions that decide to operate them or as a basis for wearing earrings, most people do not pay much attention to them. The reality is that, in addition to functioning as screens for our auditory system, they are also great receptors of stimuli.
In this sense, auriculotherapy is a natural therapy that consists of the stimulation of specific points in the ear, this being a branch of acupuncture. According to auriculotherapy, the human body can be represented in the ear as if it had the shape of a fetus in the uterus so that each point in the ear reflects a specific organ.
When a point of the ear is stimulated, various nerve endings are stimulated in turn that exert their effect on the organ related to that area, making it possible to treat problems or alleviate symptoms depending on the area stimulated.
• Relieves pain caused by sprains, fractures, contractures, and muscle strain
• Helps in rheumatic, respiratory, cardiac, urinary, and digestive problems
• It is recommended for hormonal problems such as obesity, anorexia, or thyroid diseases
• Reduces psychological problems such as anxiety or depression
• Can be used to treat hypertension, dizziness or palpitations, or facial paralysis
• Auriculotherapy can also be used to lose weight
How it is performed
Before starting treatment, it is very important to consult with a specialized therapist to identify the main symptoms and try to understand which organs are affected. Then the therapist selects the most suitable points and exerts pressure on that point. It can be done in different ways:
• Filiform needles: they are applied on the points for 10 to 30 minutes
• Intradermal needles: they are placed under the skin for approximately 7 days
• Magnetic spheres: they are placed on the skin for approximately 5 days
• Mustard seeds: they can be hot or not and are stuck on the skin for 5 days
In addition to this, auriculotherapy helps to diagnose and prevent some diseases by observing the specific points of the ear that are altered.