A trip to India was all it took for Victoria to realise that meditation is not a fancy word for sitting around in silence. It truly changed Victoria’s life to a less stressful and more mindful one. Now a freelance consultant and journalist, Victoria joined KOKO to share her knowledge on those little things that are life so much better, and cosier.+ info
Many of the plants that we have at home can be very beautiful but also very toxic, both for us and for our pets. Do you have any of them?
The botanical world is immense. There are plants of all kinds, varieties, and colors. There are indoor, outdoor, for gardens and also for spaces without much air or light. Except for poisonous or carnivorous plants, we all tend to believe that the specimens we have at home are very decorative and help in oxygenation and purification of the environment. However, there are some types of plants that can be very toxic to humans but, above all, to pets.
Even if you have plants that look great to decorate your home, take a good look at which ones can harm you. For them, you have to know the varieties and the consequences they can have.
In this case, both the flowers and the leaves can be toxic. Although poisoning can only be given by ingestion, this makes it a danger to pets and young children. Ingesting them can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and symptoms similar to those of ingesting cyanide. And, although its roots are known to have medicinal properties, its use is not recommended due to the dangers that it entails.
This plant can cause burning and swelling of the lips, mouth, and tongue, difficulty speaking or swallowing, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. In addition, it represents a risk in animals because it causes digestive problems and irritations in the mucous membranes. Still, it is considered an excellent air purifier and environment cooler.
Although it has well-recognized healing and medicinal properties and is considered a medicinal plant, ingestion in dogs and cats can cause severe poisoning.
This plant is not suitable for pets as it can cause nausea, vomiting, excessive salivation, and diarrhea. Although the toxicity level is low in people, it can cause mouth pain, salivation, and nausea.
Although it is one of the best plants for removing impurities from the air, ingesting it can cause skin irritation, swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat, vomiting, and diarrhea. In the case of dogs and cats, it causes salivation, choking, swelling of the mouth and tongue, difficulty breathing, and an upset stomach.
The fruits of this plant are very toxic to pets. Direct contact with ivy can cause dermatitis with irritations and skin eruptions due to the hairs that cover the plant and the liquid inside. If ingested it causes gastrointestinal disorders, fever, decreased heart rate, or muscle spasms.
If pets ingest it, it can cause digestive and even nervous system problems as well as dehydration.
Now that you know the plants that are toxic to humans and pets, you can choose others to decorate your home. And, if you still want those or already have them, find a safer place, out of the reach of your animals or children. If you think these tips were useful to you, do more research on these topics in our related links.
Toxic plants you may want to know about