A trip to India was all it took for Victoria to realise that meditation is not a fancy word for sitting around in silence. It truly changed Victoria’s life to a less stressful and more mindful one. Now a freelance consultant and journalist, Victoria joined KOKO to share her knowledge on those little things that are life so much better, and cosier.+ info
If we know how to take advantage of time and place, the lockdown may not be as terrible as it seems. Especially if we live with children at home.
We have already gone through the lockdown experience and were able to gain new knowledge. We learned to work from home every day, to do our exercise routine in the dining room, to watch Netflix instead of going to the movies, and to celebrate birthdays through virtual platforms.
But we also learned to spend more time with our children, although it was not an easy task. Children are one of the groups most affected by quarantine and that is why we need to pay close attention and be creative.
In order to lead a calmer life in the company of our children, we bring them some tips that can be very useful.
1. Encourage them to do simple exercises such as going up and downstairs, jumping rope, running around the yard or garden (if they have one), or stretching with arms and legs. They can also put up a video tutorial and imitate the exercises.
2. Do family readings with books that contain positive topics so that children feel safe.
3. Drawing and / or painting on surfaces or sketches also serves to develop the creativity of children.
4. Build board games. This time is perfect to take out the board games and enjoy them with your children.
5. A good technique is to disassemble ready-made puzzles and go back to find their way around, joining each piece.
6. Producing a play or inventing an original story with the characters that is supported by literature is a good option to represent your own family play.
7. When they decide the dish of the day, they should integrate the children by giving them simple culinary responsibilities (that do not include sharp objects) and then savor what they prepared.
8. If they have to do their school lessons from home, they can review them together and / or take classes online with their respective teachers or institutions that have this option.
9. Watching movies is another excellent option for when they have finished their homework. But to make it more eye-catching, they can make popcorn, sandwiches, etc. and those who have a projector install it to make it more attractive.
10. You can search the internet for a song in karaoke mode or if you have your own at home, to spend a good evening interpreting your favorite songs.