The sin from which all others originated. But I assure you: pride can help us lead a happier life.
The sentiment that doomed Lucifer to become a fallen angel. Pride, the so-called “The Sin of the Devil,” is only looked down on because he took it to extremes in his attempt to overpower God.
St Augustine once said, “Pride is the commencement of all sin.” I, knowing that I’m of no eminence, dare to say he got it completely wrong. If all humankind proudly respected themselves as individuals and took pride in their actions, the world would be a better place.
Pride is often described as a "preoccupation for the self". So why should preoccupation for the self (i.e.: self care) be a sin? When we do take pride in all our actions, believe me, things cannot go wrong. Taking pride in our actions is healthy, it is in fact necessary. Most of us have experienced that feeling of guilt because we know we could have done something better.
So whatever your place in this world is, make sure you take pride in every little thing you do, even the smallest things count, whether it is sticking to a healthy diet or skincare routine, being conscious of the sustainability of the products you choose or doing your job the best way you can. Being proud of what you do will boost your self-esteem, make you feel at peace with your actions and it will help you lead a healthier life.
Here are some tips to be proud of yourself
- Follow your passion: if you love what you do, there’s a good chance you’ll excel.
- Focus on your achievements: it is OK if you don’t do it well the first time; you should focus on the goals that you have achieved and keep on practicing. It doesn’t matter how long it will take you to get to the place you want to be as long as you get there –life is a journey, not a destination.
- 'Don't do unto others what you don't want to be done unto you.' If you hurt any person knowing that you could have avoided it, you are bound to feel disappointed with yourself –unless you have no sympathy.
- Leave your comfort zone: you don’t know what you are capable of until you try. Be ready to learn something new every day and look for new goals to keep yourself motivated. You could try making a list of some short-term goals and long-term goals and be ready to work for them.
- Don’t listen to those who bring you down: if you are alive, you can still achieve your goals. People who criticize are only projecting their own reality on you, so don’t take it personally. You can do it!
The bottom line is that if you are proud of your actions –and you are a good person–, you will stay away from toxic habits. Who would take pride in buying products that aren’t cruelty-free? Who would be proud of increasing their carbon footprint? The choice is yours to take. Be proud of your work, be proud of your shopping choices, be proud of the way you relate with people and I promise your life will be full of positivity.
So, let’s not be so hard on pride, the deadliest of the Seven Deadly Sins.
You may also like this article!