In California, the government gives solar panels to low-income families In California, the government gives solar panels to low-income families

In California, the government gives solar panels to low-income families

Governments want to speed up the transition to cleaner energy and a more sustainable production system. One such initiative is the California government's effort to provide clean energy to the poorest families

This program has raised $14.7 million since it was implemented and with the new expansion they expect to raise twice that amount by the end of this year.

With this money they plan to install more than 1,600 solar panels in areas where mainly low-income families live, for whom it is impossible to pay for a solar energy system for their homes.

The interesting thing is that these installations will be done at no cost to the families that apply for the program, they just need to prove ownership of the house and not exceed 80% of the average income per household in their community.

With these installations it is expected that each family will obtain a savings of between 400 and 1000 dollars per year in electricity, bringing benefits not only to the families, but to the entire city.

This initiative arose after a study was presented in 2013 which mentioned that 67% of solar panels in California have been installed in homes where the average monthly income is between $40,000 and $90,000, but the remaining 33% belong to luxury areas of the city, ie families with low income do not have access to solar energy.

 

Related Articles

More News

More News