If you like your home to always smell luxurious but still enjoy the aromas of nature, these recipes are ideal for you.
Many times bad smells occur at home: either because we've just finished cooking fish and chips, you've forgotten to empty your cat's litter box, or because something happened outside and made you home smell horribly. In these cases, the solution is to apply air fresheners or artificial flavors for the home.
However, these aromatics are full of chemicals, aromas and often toxic products for us and the environment and, many people are even allergic to these "odor cleaners."
That's why the best thing we can do is to prepare our own home perfumes. Ready to get to work?
Ingredients you need for making home fragances
These ingredients are very easy to find in a supermarket or in your garden. They are cheap and the best thing is that they are 100% natural.
- Citrus fruits: They are ideal because the smell lasts longer and they give a sensation of freshness to the environment. Lemons and oranges are perfect for our preparations.
- Extracts: They are perfect to mix with other ingredients and eliminate bad odors. Vanilla and almond extracts are sweet, if you want something fresher, mint is the best choice.
- Herbs: They are a key element to combine and form relaxing smells, the most recommended are thyme and rosemary.
- Tree twigs: We all love the smell of pine at Christmas, so if you get some twigs, you can have this aroma all year round at home.
- Spices: You can also use cloves or cinnamon to prepare your flavouring.
Step by step
Orange, spice and cinnamon flavoring
For this flavoring you will need:
- 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder (or two sticks)
- 1/2 tablespoon of cloves (can be powdered or ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Star anise (optionally)
Put all the ingredients in a container with enough water, you can put it directly to the fire, or if you want the smell to be in several areas of your home, just add boiling water to the container with the ingredients and place it in the corner of the rooms.
While the water evaporates, the aromas will be in the air. So if you want to keep them, just change the cold water for hot, you can do this as many times as you want.
Orange, almond and ginger
For this flavouring you will need:
- 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 sliced ginger.
Place a container with water, take it to the stove and wait for it to boil. In a glass container, which supports heat, we put all our ingredients. Once the water is boiling, we will add it together with the orange, the almond extract and the ginger.
We will take the container to any part of our home and let it cool down. If we want to reactivate the smells, we just have to empty the cold water and fill the container again with hot water.
You may also like this article!