Top 5 most successful vegan athletes

If you’re thinking about going plant-based, these vegan athletes will inspire you!

When thinking about going vegan, many people worry about getting enough protein.

Surprisingly, many elite athletes chose this lifestyle in search of fueling their body in the best way possible. Most of them are surprised by the change in their bodies when going plant-based.

Here are 5 world-renowned athletes powered by plants.

1. Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton is known for being an animal rights supporter.

The six-time Formula One champion ditched meat and dairy in 2017 after watching the vegan documentary “What the Health.”

He once said  “It’s crazy. I’m not putting more weight on it because, with this new plant-based diet, I can have more carbs which are contradictory to what you’d normally have thought diet-wise, but I’m not going to complain, I love pancakes so it’s great¨.

He is known for being an animal rights supporter.

2. Novak Djokovic

He always tries to avoid the term ‘vegan,’ however, many of his views align with the vegan movement.

Djokovic is ranked as the world’s top player by the Association of Tennis Professionals. He always tries to avoid the term ‘vegan,’ however, many of his views align with the vegan movement.

Before the 2019 Wimbledon final, Djokovic gave credit to his plant-based diet, saying the secret to his impressive bouncebacks following injury was his new diet.

In his own words, “It’s a lifestyle. More than just a diet because you have ethical reasons as well. Being conscious of what is happening in the animal world and you know the slaughtering of animals and farming and everything.¨

3. Kyrie Irving

Kyrie says he’s noticed improvements in his ability to play and recover.

The Brooklyn Nets superstar says a vegan diet makes him a stronger player.

Kyrie says he’s noticed improvements in his ability to play and recover.

In a TV interview, he said “I had to get away from that,” he said. “So my energy is up. My body feels amazing.”

4. Venus William

Venus launched Happy Viking, a plant-based protein line.

When tennis superstar Venus William was diagnosed in 2011 with Sjögren’s syndrome

she decided to adopt a vegan diet. That syndrome is responsible for dry mouth and eyes, fatigue, and joint pain. 

Her lifestyle allowed the tennis champion to manage her disease without medication and allowed her to continue her successful career.

She also launched Happy Viking, a plant-based protein line.

5. Meagan Duhamel

The Canadian skater Meagan Duhamel adopted a vegan diet in 2008 after reading the diet book “Skinny Bitch.”

The Canadian skater Meagan Duhamel adopted a vegan diet in 2008 after reading the diet book “Skinny Bitch.”

"I read it from cover to cover in a night – it wasn't very big of a book – and I just thought, 'Wow, that seems so interesting. I woke up the next morning, cleaned out my fridge, and said 'I'm going to learn about whole grains, and fruits and vegetables."

With her new diet, her energy levels are better; her skin cleared up, too, and "has a natural glow to it now."

Nick Connelly

Though he spent most of his time on camera, covering major sports events, Nick’s life-long dream was to become a sports columnist. Today, Nick researches and covers workout routines, exercise-related tips and tricks and sports diets. In need of an effective training routine? Look no further than Nick’s articles.+ info

Related Articles

More News

More News