To diet or not to diet? How to reduce food portions without even noticing!

To diet or not to diet? How to reduce food portions without even noticing!

Reducing your calorie intake doesn’t necessarily mean that you are going to feel hungry when you make wise choices. Let’s look into these tips!

1. Half of your plate should be vegetables

You needn’t change your eating habits a lot, just try mixing your favorite recipes with vegetables to make them lower in calories.

If you replace half of your meal with non-starchy vegetables, not only will you be reducing the calorie intake, but you’ll be incorporating water, fiber, and nutrients as well. You needn’t change your eating habits a lot, just try mixing your favorite recipes with vegetables to make them lower in calories. For example, I like to add broccoli or cherry tomatoes to my favorite pasta!

2. Seasoning

Capsaicin –present in spicy food– helps reduce appetite and hunger.

Capsaicin –present in spicy food– helps reduce appetite and hunger. Add hot peppers or ginger to your meals and you’ll feel fuller!

3. Add protein in your meals

Protein will make you feel more satisfied, thus, you won’t feel hungry until your next meal.

Protein will make you feel more satisfied, thus, you won’t feel hungry until your next meal. I like to add some yogurt to my smoothie in breakfast or hummus in my crackers and sometimes eat a hard-boiled egg as a snack.

4. Drink water when you are eating

Always choose water instead of any other beverage.

Always choose water instead of any other beverage. Juice and sodas are high in sugar and sodium, they will make you feel thirstier and add empty calories to your calorie intake.

5. Before you have your main course have a vegetable soup or salad

Having a vegetable broth or a salad before your meal will reduce up to %20 of your calorie intake.

Having a vegetable broth or a salad before your meal will reduce up to %20 of your calorie intake. On top of that, you’ll be adding fiber and water.

6. Use smaller plates

The size of your plates and eating utensils will influence how much you eat.

The size of your plates and eating utensils will influence how much you eat. It’s the power of illusion: people will fill their plates up to %70, regardless of their size. So, the smaller the plate, the fewer people eat.

Peter O Brien

Peter started out his professional life as a restaurant critic but ended up moving to the kitchen, realizing that his passion didn’t only lie in tasting the food, but MAKING it. Follow his delicious recipes, as well as useful articles about the many benefits healthy and delicious food will bring to your life.+ info

Related Articles

More News

More News